MTB - Western Bay FUN - 2 Day Guided Tour Package. Trails: Waihora and Orakau & K2K
- Duration: 5 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Taupo, Acacia Bay
- Product code: P1ZJU0
Mountain biking is a great way to experience the particular scenery from the Great Lake Trail. Where else in the world do you ride all year round (pumice) tracks with extensive views of the lake & mountains and could see people Rock climbing.Day 1 – Waihora - Grade 3
Distance 17km – Approx 2-3 hours riding. Boat transfer 30 minutes.
You’ll meet us at our base in Acacia Bay or in Kinloch where we will set off by vehicle to the start of the Waihora section of the Great Lake trail to begin your riding leg.
This track has extraordinary and scenic beautiful link and offers expansive views over the Lake Taupo, view of Tongariro Crossing. You are riding through volcanic rock formations, on a mixture of pumice and natural dirt trails that descend into Kotukutuku Stream – via bridges and board walks to waterfall, then to lake edge.
At the Kotukutuku landing (a tranquil bay) you will be met by the boat transporter, where we will load bikes and head back to Kinloch while eating a packed lunch.Day 2 – Orakau and K2K (Kawakawa Bay to Kinloch) - Grade 3
Distance 19km – Approx 2.5-3 hours
Start at Whangamata road car park, and finish in Kinloch.
On this Ride you will follow the trail down Orakau stream and through flax wetlands, native bush to Kawakawa Bay (beautiful bay on lake edge) – along the way see Tongariro national park. From Kawakawa bay start steadily climbing rough native bush to headland which provides great views over Lake Taupo, at headland you will start descending back down into Kinloch.
Some good climbs but short, less challenging for less experienced and less fit riders.
On this trip you could just ride the Orakau leg and have a boat transfer back to Kinloch. Additional Boat Transfer charges will apply.
Guided Tour Includes:
- Guide / Full instruction
- Hard Tail Mountain bike, helmet, and puncture repair kit
- Lunch (Day 1), Snacks and refreshments (Day 1 & 2)
- DOC concession fee
- Boat Transfer
- Transport to and from tracks – from our base or
- Transport from Taupo CBD if you do not have your own transport to get to our base (on request only).
Having a guide is a great way to maximize the enjoyment of the trip for all participating. Our guides will not only show you the way and manage any incidents, they will brief riders on upcoming trail segments and can also explain some of the history of the area. Our guides strive to provide the best possible biking experience, catering the trip to suit each individual’s needs and riding ability. They provide for a safer trip and are also very handy for unexpected incidents such as a tyre puncture.
Time (can be flexible with times for group bookings)
- 9am or time to coincide with Boat Transfer
- Our Base – Unit 2 876 Acacia Bay Road, Acacia Bay, Taupo
- Please view our website under GEAR LIST for what to wear and bring, no jeans please. https://www.tka.co.nz/gear-list/
- Please arrive wearing the appropriate clothing and already have sunblock applied, so we can keep to tour time.